Daytona Bike Week has attracted riders to the area like a magnet since 1937 when bikers raced on the beach in what was then known as the Daytona 200. What started as a relatively low-key gathering of about 15,000 motorcycle enthusiasts has grown into a mega-event, drawing an estimated half million people. It’s an incredibly fun two weeks in March – a celebration of everything great about motorcycles.
Unfortunately, Bike Week is also dangerous. Every year there are horror stories about riders, motorists and pedestrians dying. In 2022, six riders were killed, and at least 88 were severely injured. The year before, eight riders died, and another 91 suffered traumatic injuries.
As Bike Week 2023 approaches, the attorneys with Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh hope everyone who attends has a fantastic, safe time. But we’ll also be here if you suffer an injury from a careless motorcyclist or motorist. Our lawyers will do everything we can to help you obtain maximum compensation from those to blame for your suffering.
Don’t hesitate to contact us online or call (561) 295-5825 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we may be able to help.
The Increased Risk of Accidents During Daytona Bike Week
When you have an influx of hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists, our already-crowded streets and highways will get even more jam-packed. An increase in accidents is, unfortunately, going to be inevitable.
But other factors increase the risk of accidents taking place. These include the following:
- Reckless riding – Some riders may engage in reckless or dangerous riding behaviors, such as speeding or lane splitting, which can increase the risk of someone being severely injured or killed..
- Alcohol consumption – Alcohol consumption is typical during Daytona Bike Week, and drunk riding can significantly increase the risk of accidents.
- Fatigue – With so many events and activities, riders may become fatigued, affecting their reaction time.
Whether riding on two, three or four wheels during the event, it will be more important than ever to be aware of your surroundings and take all precautions.
Common Causes of Accidents During Daytona Bike Week
Several factors contribute to an increased risk of accidents during Daytona Bike Week, including:
- A high traffic volume – With a large number of bikers and visitors in the area, there is a significant increase in the traffic volume on the roads, leading to a higher risk of accidents.
- Impaired driving – Alcohol consumption and drug use are typical during the event and can impair a rider’s judgment and reaction time, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Reckless or aggressive driving – Riders who lane split, speed or commit similar acts of negligence can put everyone else on the road in danger.
- Distracted riding – With so many distractions in the area, such as other bikers, vendors, and attractions, it’s easy for riders to become distracted and not pay attention to the road, leading to accidents.
But motorists carry their fair share of the blame as well. These are some ways drivers can seriously injure or even kill motorcyclists.
- Inattention – Motorists may not pay attention to the road, especially smaller vehicles like motorcycles. This inattention can lead to them not seeing a motorcycle and causing a wreck.
- Improper lane changes – Drivers may suddenly switch lanes without adequately checking their blind spots, causing a collision with a nearby motorcycle.
- Tailgating – Following a motorcycle too closely can put the rider in danger of rear-end collisions.
- Turning in front of a motorcycle – Motorists may not see a motorcycle approaching and turn directly in front of it, causing a collision.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving, such as texting or using a cell phone, can prevent motorists from noticing a motorcycle.
How Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh Can Help
At Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh, we have a team of skilled legal professionals with significant experience representing clients involved in motorcycle accidents. We’re well-versed in the laws and regulations surrounding motorcycle accidents and can support riders injured or affected by an accident.
Having an experienced motorcycle attorney can be of great benefit to you in several ways. First, they can help you to understand your rights and legal options. They can also negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for any medical expenses, lost wages, or other damages, such as lost earning capacity.
If the insurance company fails to offer a fair settlement, a motorcycle attorney can represent you in court and fight for your rights. Our attorneys have the knowledge and expertise to build a strong case, gather evidence, and negotiate with the other side to reach a favorable outcome. We can bring in expert witnesses if needed to make your case even stronger.
In addition to their legal expertise, our lawyers also understand the unique challenges faced by motorcyclists, such as biases against riders and the need for specialized medical treatment. We can provide personalized support and guidance, protecting your rights and interests throughout the legal process.
It’s important that you contact us as soon as possible so we can immediately launch an investigation into the accident. The timing of the investigation will be critical to your ability to win your case. The earlier you hire legal help, the earlier the investigation can start. The earlier the investigation starts, the better the chances we’ll obtain solid evidence before it disappears.
Contact Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh if You’re Injured during Bike Week 2023
The attorneys with Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh have the skills, resources, and tenacity to help our clients obtain every dollar compensation they deserve. We’ll thoroughly investigate the accident, determine blame and gather the evidence needed to show you should receive exactly what we’ll demand on your behalf.
If you plan on participating in Daytona Bike Week, we hope you have a great time. We also hope you’re always aware of your surroundings to be as safe as possible. However, if something happens, remember that we’ll be here to provide the strong, experienced representation you’ll need. Also, you won’t have to pay a dime out of pocket, since we won’t receive any money unless you achieve a positive result.
You can use our online contact form to schedule a free review of your case, or you can call (561) 295-5825. We look forward to hearing from you.