Stuart, Florida, is located along the Treasure Coast between Palm Beach and Vero Beach. It’s a very small town, with a population of 17,531 people as of 2021. Stuart is known for having a mix of urban and suburban developments, with lots of apartment buildings, houses, coffee shops, parks, and restaurants. It’s a hot spot for retirees and those looking to settle down.
Unfortunately, even in the smallest of towns, disaster can still strike. Whether you’re taking a trip into town or venturing out to another nearby city, there’s always a small risk of an accident. In the state of Florida, there were approximately 341,000 crashes in 2020 and 401,000 in 2019.
In 2020, there were 3,332 fatalities as a result of those accidents. Florida is known for having the worst drivers, and it’s often listed as one of the most dangerous places to drive in the United States.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Stuart, Florida, please contact our team of talented car accident attorneys as soon as possible.
Common Car Accident Injuries and Their Lifetime Costs
Car accident injuries are no joke. Even the most minor of accidents can cause lifelong issues, such as chronic pain. From minor to severe, injuries can rack up medical debt and other bills quickly. Here are some of the most common car accident injuries and how much they typically cost.
- Traumatic brain injury: $2,130 to $401,808 a year and exceeding millions in a lifetime.
- Spinal cord injuries: $42,000 to $184,000 annually, depending on the level of paralysis.
- Sprains, strains, and tears: $500 to $25,000 for the total cost. Some sprains require lifetime care as they can cause chronic pain at the site.
- Broken bones: A few hundred dollars to over $10,000, depending on whether or not surgery is required.
- Amputation: $500,000 over a lifetime.
Unfortunately, most injuries require more than one initial hospital visit. Therefore, it can be difficult to estimate exactly how much money you’ll spend. Some injuries require surgery, physical therapy, in-home care, medical devices, and even home renovations. Thankfully, KMW can help you get the compensation needed to pay all of these bills and more.
What Causes Stuart Car Accidents?
In small towns, accidents are often caused because people who live there tend to get too comfortable. They feel as if they know the roads like the back of their hand and can navigate throughout town while checking their phone. They may even feel more comfortable driving home from a bar after a few drinks.
Contrary to this belief, most accidents actually happen closer to home, with 77% of motor vehicle accidents occurring within a 10-mile radius of either party’s residence.
Aside from people getting comfortable, other causes of car accidents include:
- Inexperienced drivers
- Distracted driving
- Road rage
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Not adapting properly to rain
- Fatigued driving
- Failing to properly maintain your vehicle
- Defective car parts
- Not looking before changing lanes
- Running red lights and stop signs
Types of Car Accidents
There are various different types of car accidents, such as:
- Rear-end accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Backing up accidents
- Parked car accidents
Some types of accidents are more dangerous than others and more frequently result in severe injuries. T-bone accidents are a good example of this. If you’re struck on the driver’s side of your vehicle, your injuries may be devastating.
However, a simple rear-end accident may only result in minor injuries. Either way, any type of accident can be minor or severe, depending on the circumstances.
Steps to Take After You’re Involved in a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, there are many important things you should do immediately following it. First and foremost, you should seek immediate medical attention. If an ambulance arrives and they want to take you to the hospital immediately, go with them.
If they allow you to stick around and speak with the police, you are free to take the following steps.
- Exchange insurance information with the other involved drivers. Don’t admit fault or even apologize. Make sure the conversation is brief.
- Take pictures and videos of the scene of the accident. Take pictures of your car and the at-fault party’s car.
- Record your own statement in your notes app or on paper. It’s important to do this when everything is fresh in your mind.
- Speak to any witnesses and get their contact information. Encourage them to speak to the police.
- Speak to the police when they arrive and give them your statement.
- Seek medical attention as soon as you leave the scene of the accident. Not seeking immediate medical attention can give insurance companies a reason to deny your claim.
- Contact KMW and speak with our experienced car accident attorneys. Make sure you do this before speaking with the insurance company. Insurance companies will try to trick you into accepting a low settlement offer. Having an attorney can prevent this, ensuring you’ll be able to sue for more later on down the road.
Types of Damages You Can Recover
There are two different types of damages that you can recover after an accident, economic and non-economic. Economic damages include things with an associated monetary value, such as medical bills and lost wages. Non-economic damages cover things like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of earning capacity.
While economic damages can be calculated by looking at the associated values, non-economic damages are more abstract. They’re calculated by looking at how much your quality of life has changed before and after the accident and your injuries. If your life has changed drastically, you can expect a larger amount of compensation than someone with a small change in their life.
Why Should You Hire KMW for Your Stuart Car Accident Case?
By hiring a KMW attorney for your Stuart car accident case, you’ll be working with someone who has years of experience getting high settlement offers and trial wins for their clients. Not only that, but you’ll also be working with someone with connections to local law enforcement, hospitals and treatment centers, and expert witnesses. All of these connections can help to build a much stronger case.
In recent years, we have gotten thousands to millions of dollars for our Stuart car accident victims. We care deeply about our clients are will be here with you every step of the way. We pride ourselves on keeping an open line of communication, meaning you’ll always know what’s going on with your case. Let us handle the stressful stuff, so you can focus on relaxing and recovering.
Contact Keller, Melchiorre and Walsh After Your Car Accident
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident in Stuart, Florida, it’s time to talk to an experienced attorney. Keller, Melchiorre and Walsh are here to help you. Contact us today online or at (561) 295-5825.