While Florida is renowned for its beaches, North Palm Beach is one of a kind! North Palm Beach is famous for its tourist attractions and recreational activities. In fact, it’s the perfect place for a bike ride. And while most bike rides are a pleasant way to spend time with family or get around, sometimes they can become hazardous. If you are involved in a bicycle accident, you need to know what to do next.
North Palm Beach Is Great For Bicycles
When visiting North Palm Beach, it’s worth mentioning the well-known eco and family-friendly John D. MacArthur Beach State Park, filled with nature trails as well as picnic amenities. With its year-long events of seasonal programs, concerts, and other special events, this is the place where stress and tension die, and fun relaxation comes alive.
Do you know what leisure sport goes perfectly with beach towns? Biking! It is like a match made in heaven. The reason is that places like these have a slower pace than bigger cities. The glowing sunrise, gentle breeze, touch of humidity, and numerous biking trails make it the ideal place for bicycle rides.
Bike Shops in North Palm Beach
Bicycle riding can be a way to relax, get around town, and stay fit. You can ride along the beachside or choose from one of the many trails in North Palm Beach.
If you find yourself in North Palm Beach with the desire to ride a bike or need to repair/replace a bicycle, below is a list of nearby bike shops:
- Trek Bicycle Store Palm Beach Gardens
- Bike Boutique – PBG
- Bikes Palm Beach
- On Your Mark Performance Center & Bike Shop
While riding bicycles in North Palm Beach is relatively safer than in the city, it is still vital to be safety conscious when bicycling.
Palm Beach County Bicycle Accident Stats and Tips
According to the Palm Beach MPO, three-hundred and ninety-nine bicycle accidents were recorded from January to October 2022 in Palm Beach County, and 91% of these involved injuries. In 2022, there was also an increase in deadly accidents.
On average, there are about 5000-7000 bicycle accidents in Florida each year. In January 2023, there were 6,404 accidents involving a bicycle. In October 2022, there were 5,503, just for comparison.
Unfortunately, Florida leads all of America in bicycle fatalities. We actually have a pretty big problem here, mostly due to decaying infrastructure and a lack of new infrastructure designed to keep cyclists safe.
When considering per 100,000 people, Florida is the state with the highest number of bicycle accident deaths in the country.
The population most in danger of a bicycle death might surprise you. In Florida, most bicycle deaths occurred in people 50 to 59 years of age. This means that older populations need to be extra careful and not take bicycle safety for granted.
What To Do If You Are Injured in a North Palm Beach Bike Accident
Bicycle accidents can occur for various reasons, such as rough roads, faulty traffic signals, careless drivers, distractions, alcohol intoxication, and drug use.
Regardless of the cause, if you ever find yourself in a bicycle accident in North Palm Beach, follow this checklist to stay on top of the situation:
- Whether you are injured or not, remain at the scene until the police arrive- this will ensure a complete resolution of the situation, especially if you later realize that you were injured. If you are in an accident in North Palm Beach, then the North Palm Beach Police Department will respond.
- Do not verbally settle with the driver, even if they seem apologetic. The reason is that you may not yet be fully aware of the extent of bodily injury or bike damage. Often, following an accident, the injuries are worse the next day. More importantly, a doctor has not evaluated your injuries and they are the expert when it comes to your personal health and well-being.
- Ensure to exchange information with the other person, such as name, address, number, car make(if a car was involved in the accident), driver’s license number, etc.
- In case you may need to verify your report or sue, ensure to collect the contact information of witnesses. If there was a bystander that observed the accident and you do not obtain their name or number, then you will not be able to contact them later as a witness.
- Document the how, where, and when of the accident. Be as detailed as possible so that you can refer to the information if necessary.
- Police tend to be more interested in the motorist’s account of events than the bicyclist’s. So, ensure that you give them your report, including injuries- major or minor. This is especially important if there is comparative negligence.
- Report to the nearest hospital for treatment and a written evaluation. Take pictures of any injuries and keep records of progressing symptoms.
- Keep photographs of damaged clothing and bike parts.
- Reach out to an expert for counsel. A lawyer can help in negotiations with the insurance company or represent you in a court case if required. They can also assist in recovering lost wages and medical bills.
When looking for an experienced bicycle attorney, look for one that has handled similar cases. At KMW Legal, we’ve handled thousands of serious bicycle accident cases and know the local area well. Call us at (561)295-5825 for a free case evaluation.
Bicycle Safety Tips in North Palm Beach
While it certainly helps that Florida has laws that ensure bicyclists have the same right of way as motorists, it is vital to employ safety precautions when riding in North Palm Beach- especially with increasing bicycle accidents.
Below are some ways to ensure safety when riding a bicycle:
- According to research, wearing a helmet can decrease the risk of fatal injury by about seventy percent.
- Examine your bicycle equipment before going for a ride. Ensure the tires are well inflated. Check the chains, reflectors, gears, and lights to ensure everything is in working condition. Make sure your lights and reflectors are legally sufficient.
- Wear reflective gear. Limited visibility is a major cause of bicycle accidents. Reflective gear is especially crucial for early-morning riders.
- Your hands should always be on your bicycle- this may seem pretty obvious, but you would be surprised by how many people think they have a good balance.
- Do away with all distractions. Bikers already have a higher risk of fatal injuries without adding the dangers that distractions pose. Focus on your surroundings and enjoy the scenery as you bike through the town.
Where to Ride a Bike in North Palm Beach
Now that we’ve covered where to buy and fix a bicycle, what to do in an accident, and how to stay safe while riding, let’s move on to where to ride in North Palm Beach.
Did you know there are numerous options for group bicycle rides in Palm County? They include:
- John D. MacArthur Beach State Park: A distinct combination of the seaside and a beautiful forest, this park is home to numerous rare and endangered plant species. With a wide range of activities, from bicycling and bird watching to paddling, picnicking, and fishing, this park is bound to leave to speechless!
- Palm Beach Lake Trail: Scenic, paved, and traffic-free, this trail is perfect for a quiet and reflective ride with close friends or family. Since this trail is along the path of several beautiful sites, including the Flagler Museum, the oldest house in Palm Beach, the beach, etc., your biking experience could also double as a tour.
- Okeeheelee Bike Trail: One of the largest parks and is perfect for a mixture of activities. If you are looking for a place to ride bikes, golf, go water skiing, and do several other leisure sports- this is the place for you!
Award-winning North Palm Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Regardless of where you go on a bicycle ride or how cautious you are, accidents happen. If you were injured in a bicycle accident because of a negligent driver or some other type of negligence, you should protect your rights. You and your family have a right to be safe, to get justice, and to get compensation when someone costs your family money and pain.
Call an accident lawyer at KMW Legal to discuss your case for free (561) 295-5825.