If you’ve suffered a severe injury due to someone else’s carelessness or recklessness, you’re not only going through an incredible amount of pain, you’re probably also incredibly frustrated. You can’t do the things you love, and your medical bills keep pouring in. You might not have any idea where to turn, but you know you deserve justice.
A personal injury attorney with Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh can help you seek that justice. You didn’t do anything to deserve what you’ve had to go through. We’ll fight tenaciously on your behalf to help you obtain the compensation you deserve – not just to cover your medical expenses, but all of the other financial losses you’ve had to bear due to the accident. Clients throughout Florida turn to us on a regular basis, because they know they can trust us to provide the very best representation we can possibly deliver.
What is Personal Injury?
If you’ve suffered physical or mental harm because of the negligence of another party, that’s what’s known in legal terms as a personal injury. You may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit as a result. You’ll be doing so in an effort to recover the financial losses you’ve incurred due to the at-fault party’s actions.
Types of Personal Injury Cases KMW Represents
Our firm has a long history of success in personal injury lawsuits, and we accept cases in a wide range of practice areas. These include the following:
- Bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bus accidents
- Car accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Truck accidents
- And many others
The Personal Injury Lawsuit Process
When you choose a personal injury lawyer with Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh, you’ll be working with a legal expert who will always tell you what to expect as your case progresses. While no two cases are exactly alike, here’s a general idea of how yours will likely proceed.
- Your attorney will file a claim on your behalf, both to the at-fault party and their insurance company. This claim will notify them that they will represent you in your effort to recover your financial losses.
- They will then send a demand letter before filing the formal lawsuit. This letter, as the name implies, will spell out the liability of the negligent party, and detail the injury you suffered, the treatment you’ll need, your present and future medical costs, and more.
- Next, your attorney will try to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company.
- If that settlement isn’t forthcoming, your lawyer will file a complaint. This is where the actual lawsuit begins.
- The lawsuit will go through a “discovery” phase. This means both sides will gather evidence in order to support their respective cases. You will likely be asked to participate in a deposition, where the other side will ask questions about the accident and your injury. Your attorney will be with you the entire time to ensure all questions are appropriate, and to offer advice when necessary.
- Once discovery is complete, both sides will meet in mediation in an effort to once again reach a fair settlement agreement. This is where the vast majority of personal injury lawsuits end, because insurance companies hate going to trail. Doing so costs them a great deal of money – typically much more than it would cost them to settle.
- There are, however, some instances where mediation fails, and the case has to go to trial. A judge or jury will hear the evidence from both sides. If they rule in your favor, they will then determine how much compensation you should be awarded.
Steps to Take After a Personal Injury Accident
No matter what kind of accident you’ve been involved in, whether it was a car accident or anything else, there are a few things you need to do in the immediate aftermath. Here’s a quick look at just some of the more important steps you should take.
- Get medical help, not only for yourself, but also for anyone else who may have been hurt.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Talk to any witnesses and get their contact information.
- If possible, take pictures and videos of the accident scene.
- Call a personal injury attorney so they can launch an investigation to gather the proof you need to win your case.
As stated earlier, the main reason you’re taking legal action is to recover your accident-related financial losses. These are known in legal terms as “damages.” They include tangible losses, such as medical expenses, lost wages (both now and in the future) and property damage.
There are also subjective damages, such as pain and suffering, emotional trauma, disfigurement, loss of quality of life, and others. It takes a skilled attorney to be able to determine the “value,” for lack of a better term, of these so-called “non-economic” damages.
How Much Will My Settlement Be?
Any personal injury attorney who promises you’ll get a certain amount of money – before they even have all the facts – will not be worth your time. Your compensation will largely be determined by the severity of your injury, as well as the degree of negligence the at-fault party committed. There really is no such thing as an “average” settlement in a personal injury lawsuit. You may receive $20,000, or you could receive much, much more – it all depends on the circumstances of your specific case.
Do I Need to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
If you want the best chance possible to obtain the most compensation possible, then you will definitely need expert legal help. The personal injury attorneys with Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh are ready to provide that help. Our firm has a long track record of success, and we have the skill and resources to uncover the proof you’ll need to achieve a positive outcome.