Property Damage to Vehicles
When most people think of auto damage, they think only of car accidents. While an accident can cause serious damage to your vehicle, it is not the only threat out there. For example, someone could vandalize your car or a thief could shatter the windows trying to break in to steal your belongings. Weather and natural disasters can be just as harmful. A tornado can come through your area and rip down trees that then land on the hood of your car, or a hailstorm can leave dents and scratches all over your exterior. As for car accidents, you could endure internal and external damage, especially if the vehicle catches on fire during or after an accident. Or, the external damage could be minimal while the internal damage does not even show itself until days or weeks after the fact. The possibilities are endless, and that is exactly why you need to keep and maintain insurance. In addition to having insurance, make sure you also have a legal professional on your side who can go through your policy with you, page by page, to make sure you understand the layers of information you have agreed to.
HOW DOES AN ATTORNEY HELP WITH CLAIMS FOR PROPERTY DAMAGE TO VEHICLES?
- Your ideal attorney is well-versed in a variety of legal documents. Show your attorney your insurance policy so that he or she can analyze it to make sure you are asking for everything you are owed. You may have overlooked something crucial, but a legal professional will catch it for you.
- An attorney can manage your entire claim for you from start to finish. Filing a claim is not the only move you need to make. The insurance company may deny your claim, making the process longer than expected. Don’t go through this alone.
- An attorney can help you access every benefit outlined in your policy. For example, if you are without a car while it is being repaired, you have the right to a loaner car. An attorney is there to help you identify the ways in which you can make your life easier and not harder.
- If the insurance company denies your claim, an attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
- An attorney knows to watch for various ways that an insurance company may try to cut corners with you. For example, they may suggest a simple repair when the car actually needs to be totaled out entirely. Or, they may refuse certain repairs that the car obviously needs. Either way, a good attorney is on your side and stays ready to help you get every bit of the compensation you deserve.
- An attorney will encourage you to hire your own auto mechanic to inspect the car for damages. The insurance company will send their own person to you or they will direct you to go to a specific auto shop. But, be weary of following their orders and only taking this first opinion on the repairs. It never hurts to have a second opinion, and a good lawyer knows to check and compare inspections.
- If any additional damage is found after your claim has been closed, an attorney can reopen the claim. This may seem overwhelming to you, considering all that you would have gone through by this point, but it is a move that can save you money and stress in the long run.
You pay your insurance premiums like clockwork for this very reason: protection. You need protection from life’s unpredictable moments, and that is exactly why we buy insurance. The insurance companies are banking on the fact that you will pay every bill without ever really needing their help in return. But, this is ultimately a business deal with a very real contract. Attorneys are skilled in this area and have spent endless hours learning how to fight for the integrity of your policies. If you are having trouble getting an insurance company to approve your claim, contact a trusted attorney at Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh today for a free consultation.
YOUR NEXT STEPS IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED PROPERTY DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE
If you or a loved one have experienced property damage to your vehicle, now is the time to start contacting your insurance company to see what kind of coverage you have. Consider running your policy by a reliable lawyer to make sure you understand every bit of your coverage. Immediately document all of your damage and file a claim as soon as possible. If what your insurance company offers does not meet the agreement in your insurance policy, contact us at Keller, Melchiorre & Walsh today to set up a consultation to discuss your needs. You and your family have already experienced a setback, so let us help you get a step ahead.