What Damages Can I Recover If My Home is Damaged by a Hurricane?

Homeowners and property owners that sustain damage from a hurricane are entitled to compensation for their storm-related losses through their home insurance or property insurance. After all, that is why we all pay our monthly premiums. But what exactly is covered, and what isn’t?

Florida Statute § 627.70132 allows you to file a claim against your homeowner’s insurance company or sue the property owner (if you’re renting) for any economic damages that result from a storm. But what are economic damages?

Compensation for a Florida hurricane damage claim covers the following things:

  • Property damage (i.e. damage to your roof or damage to your car)
  • Loss of belongings (i.e. jewelry or electronics)
  • Loss of wages (from missing work)
  • Medical expenses (if you are injured during the storm)

If you are a business owner, you may also be able to recover:

  • Lost business or income opportunities
  • Lost business contracts or sales

If you’ve suffered damages from a hurricane, please contact a hurricane damage lawyer that specializes in home insurance claims for help. A lawyer can help by investigating your claim, compiling evidence, filing your claim within the deadline, and negotiating with the insurer on your behalf.

Will I have to pay a deductible to get compensation for my hurricane damage?

Yes. Most home insurance policies require a hurricane deductible if there is any damage to your home or business and you want to file a claim. Think of it like you pay the first part, and the insurance company pays the rest. Generally, hurricane deductibles in Florida range from 2% to 10% of the insured value of the home. So, if your home is insured for $200,000 with a 2% hurricane deductible, your hurricane deductible is $4,000.

Will my car insurance cover damage to my car?

If you have comprehensive coverage (also called “comp”) then, yes, hurricane damage and flood damage to your car will be covered by your car insurance company. You should not that comp is usually extra, so not everyone buys it. There will also be a deductible.

What damage isn’t covered by a home insurance policy from a hurricane?

A homeowners’ insurance policy covers wind and hurricane damage. But there is one thing that most people don’t know. Flood damage is not covered by the hurricane portion of the policy.

But, that doesn’t mean all water damage isn’t covered. For example, if your roof is destroyed and then the rain that makes its way in damages your home, it will be covered.

However, rising groundwater from a storm surge or hurricane is considered a flood. Flood damage is not covered by a standard homeowner insurance policy. In order to be covered for this, a separate flood insurance policy is required.

Will I automatically have hurricane damage coverage?

Hurricane damage is usually a separate part of a home insurance policy, so you can opt to not buy it and therefore wouldn’t be covered. But since we live in Florida, most lenders do require hurricane damage coverage. So unless you own your home outright and opted out of coverage, you probably have hurricane damage coverage. But you should always check your actual policy.

I am confused. What should I do? Speak to a lawyer.

When you’ve been impacted by a hurricane, it’s difficult to know what to do next. An attorney can assist you in understanding your legal options and how to get proper compensation for your damages.

A Florida hurricane damage attorney will make sure that your rights are upheld and that you receive the money you need to get your life back.

Hiring a hurricane damage lawyer can help you in the following ways:

  • Provide a free consultation where they can answer your questions and tell you your best legal recourse.
  • Explain the home insurance claims process and how it applies to you.
  • Help with filing a claim so that it is done correctly. The key here is that hurricane damage attorneys do this all the time so they know the proper ways to get things done.
  • Handle litigation if the insurance company refuses to pay.
  • Assist in getting you all the money you deserve so you can rebuild your life.

Contact Keller Melchiorre & Walsh for Legal Counsel

If a hurricane damaged your property, you should speak to a property damage lawyer to help you with your claim. Filing a claim against your insurance company seems straightforward, but it is not.

After a huge storm, they get thousands and thousands of claims. So instead of paying them all, they just start denying them and hope most will go away. We won’t let that happen.

At Keller Melchiorre & Walsh, we have years of experience working with clients in Florida and helping them get compensation for all kinds of property damage. We know Florida home insurance policies inside and out.

If you need help, consider contacting Keller Melchiorre & Walsh to schedule a free consultation about your case. We offer a free no-obligation consultation.